If you have lived in the same house for many years, chances are you have accumulated items that neither you-nor your family- still need. But determining where to declutter, and then deciding what to do with those items can seem a bit overwhelming. Fortunately, this task doesn’t have to be stressful. And you aren’t obligated to do all of it in a single day. Remove estate junk easily with a professional junk removal company. In Pittsburgh PA, cleanouts for estate furniture, appliances and other junk are handled affordably by Get Movin’ Moving & Storage.
Decluttering Made Easy
When faced with a big project, the best thing to do is have a plan for achieving your goal. For decluttering effectively, a plan will make things easier.
Schedule Your Property Cleanout
- Choose a start date. – Many times, decluttering doesn’t get done because we think of it as an ambiguous task with no pressing need to be accomplished. Choosing a specific starting time lends importance to the project.
Set Goals to Declutter Your Home
- Be specific. – Choose your battles by identifying which spaces need to be decluttered the most. Determine 3-5 areas, list them in order of prominence. Then start small and work your way to the harder tasks.
Keep Track of Junk Removal Before You Start
- Make a list. – Sometimes, looking at everything to be organized and sorted can be distressing. As you begin each space, make a list of those items you know you need to keep, toss, etc.; you may also want to list what areas/elements of the room you want to work on first/last. Having a plan makes it easier to break the job into smaller achievable steps.
Adjust Your Mental Dialogue to Prevent Hoarding
- Change your mindset. – Don’t look at an item and think, “I might need this in the future”. If you have not used the item in a year, get rid of it. Ideally, have a few piles/boxes identified as Keep, Junk, Donate, and possibly one for those items you need/want to check with family members about.
Get Rid of Extras
- Double Trouble. – Unless it is light bulbs, batteries, or other items that are needed for home maintenance, then get rid of anything you have multiples of. For instance, plastic bowls are great, but do you really need 25 of them? Other doubles that unnecessarily take up space are extensions cords, old electronics, picture frames, craft items, kitchen tools, and all those recyclable bags.
Set a Junk Removal Staging Area
- Designate a specific spot for kept items. – Whether it is a shelf, a box, a closet, or a large bin that is properly labeled, having a place for everything makes a difference. You can find things easier, and the next time you are organizing it will be much easier to determine what to keep and to toss.
Visualize Your Junk Elimination
- Plan ahead. – Decluttering a space is often not a one-and-done job. As you finish the first cleanout project go ahead and mark your calendar for 3-6 months down the road to come back to this space and work on these steps again. On the bright side, it should be easier the next time(s) around.
So, once you declutter the room (or rooms) of unneeded items, what do you do with those unwanted things? Well, in Allegheny County, PA, your Pittsburgh PA cleanouts are simple and easy. In Pittsburgh and the surrounding metro area, call Get Movin’ Storage. They come to your location, load everything up, and haul it away for you. They will even take care of bringing usable items to donation centers so that someone else can benefit. Definitely a win for everyone!
Decluttering doesn’t have to be difficult or stressful. Just use these tips to sort things out. Then contact Get Movin’ for the junk removal. In no time at all, you can have more space, as well as peace of mind, knowing you have taken an item off your- and perhaps your family’s- To-Do list.